Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Autotransformer and Conventional Transformer. The basic difference between autotransformers is that in autotransformers one winding is used while in conventional transformer 2 different windings are used.
In today’s post we will have a detailed look at both autotransformer and conventional transformer. We will compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Autotransformer and Conventional Transformer.
Difference Between Autotransformer and Conventional Transformer
- The type of transformer that has single windings as compare to another transformer that is more than one winding.
- Single windings is such configured that it has two parts one is used as primary and the other is used as secondary.
- While in other transform different windings used is primary and secondary
- It consists of 3 numbers of tapping where connections are created.
- Due usage of single winding its cost of construction is less than other transformers.
- With that has a drawback it needed certain insulation between two parts of windings that can cause a short circuit if not exit.
- It also has the benefit of that less value of leakage reactance, less power loss than other
- It can be employed as voltage regulators at different loads
- The part of windings of this transformer that is mutual among primary and secondary called common part and other called series.
- the equation used for voltage measuring from the transformer is given here.
- Its work lies on the phenomenon of self-induction
- It needed less value of initial current due to simple structures
- the value of output voltage can be varied according to load attached demand
- In a conventional transformer, there is two windings are sued the first one operates as the primary and the second one is used as the secondary winding.
- It works on the phenomena of mutual induction.
- the operation of the transformer is to change the voltage level from one to another.
- If it transforms from high to low called to step down and if transform from low to high called step up transformer
- The operation of transformer lies on the Faraday law of electromagnetic induction
- Transform used at power generation system called power transformer and transform that used at load end to decrease load called distribution transformer
- As compare to autotransformer its price is high due to its large size.
- Losses are occurring with a large quantity than an auto transformer.
- It offed the constant value of the voltage at load.
- the common type of losses in traformer ar eddy current, hysteresis loss
- Its main parts are the core over which windings is wounded.
So it is a detailed post about the difference between autotransformer and conventional transformer if you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.