Hello, friends welcome to the new post. In this post, we will have a detailed look at Difference Between Atom and Molecules. Each and every substance is created through the combination of small particles called atoms and a group of atoms called molecules. If we do a comparison among these two then will come to know that the smallest particles of matter or substance is atom and a group of 2 or more atom is molecules
Here we discuss details about atoms and molecules and make a comparison among their properties. So let’s get started with the Difference Between Atom and Molecule.
Difference Between Atom and Molecule
What is atom
- The least part of any matter that can perform any chemical reaction and make an element is called an atom.
- Atom is the main part of gases, solids of any category, and liquids.
- Its size range is one hundred pF. Its size is such small can not be seen through the naked eye.
- The central part of atoms is called the nucleus and consists of protons and neutrons.
- Electrons are relied on at the outer part of the nucleus in different orbits of atoms.
- There is such an atom which is hydrogen that does not has any neutrons.
- The protons have a positive charge and neutron has no charge and the electrons have a negative charge.
- An example of an atom is oxygen, sulfur.
- When an atom has negative or positive charges then called a negative ion or positive ion. Positive ion becomes when an atom releases an electron and negative ion becomes when it gets an electron
- The quantity of protons defines the atomic number of atoms and is denoted with Z letter.
- Protons number of hydrogen is two as has two neutron
What is Molecules
- The molecules is created through the combination fo two or more two atoms and show neutral features. It has no charges like ions.
- Atoms have the same types of atoms called homonuclear-like molecules of oxygen o2.
- Atoms have different atoms are called heteronuclear since they have atoms of different types like H2so4.
- Atoms in nuances are attached through noncovalent forces like hydrogen bonding.
- Oceans are created through different types of molecules. Organics material also example molecules,
What is Covalent Bond and Ionic Bond
- Sharing of electrons among the atoms is called covalent bonding. they do sharing of atoms to make stable molecules,
- In ionic bonding, atoms give electrons to other atoms or get electrons from other atoms this is called ionic bonding
Atom vs Molecule
|Definition||It is the basic unit of matter that retains chemical properties.||It is a group of two or more atoms that are connected with each other through chemical bonds.|
|Composition||It is created with a single category of the atom||It is created with two or more different atoms|
|Size||It is small in size and has a dia about 0.1 to 0.5 nanometers.||It can have small or large sizes on the basis of the numbers and types of atoms that created the molecules|
|Examples||Carbon atom (C), a Hydrogen atom (H),, Oxygen atom (O)||Carbon dioxide molecule (CO2), Water molecule (H2O),Glucose molecule (C6H12O6)|
|Chemical properties||t shows the different chemical features like reactivity and valence||The features of molecules are found through types and configurations of atoms in molecules|
|Physical state||It exists in liquid solids and gas states on the basis of pressure and temperature||It also exists in liquid, gas, or slid on a base of temperature and pressure.|
|Bonding||It can make chemical bonds with other atoms to make molecules||Two or more atoms are connected with covalent bonds, ionic or metallic bonds to make molecules|
|Electrons||It has a nucleus with neutrons and protons and electrons orbiting the nucleus||The electrons in a molecule are shared among atoms making bonds and determining the molecule’s shape.|
|Chemical reactions||They take art in chemical reactions with other atoms or molecules.||They also take part in chemical reactions with other atoms or molecules, mostly making new molecules.|
|Properties||It has chemical and physical properties which make it different from molecules||The features of the molecule are found through its composition and the type of bondings that exist in it|
|Formation||Atoms are connected to make molecules||Molecules can be created by joining two or more atoms through a chemical bond|
|Classification||They are Classified on the base of protons in the nucleus or (atomic number).||They are classified on the basis of the types and configuration of atoms in a molecule|
|States of Matter||It can be a single atom or exits as ga or liquid or solid||It can be solid, liquid, or gas on the base of atoms and bonds in the molecule|
|Examples||Its common examples are Hydrogen atom (H), Carbon atom (C), Oxygen atom (O)||Its main examples are Water molecules (H2O), Carbon dioxide molecules (CO2), Glucose molecules (C6H12O6)|
|Structure||It comes in a compact structure having electrons and a nucleus||Its structure is complicated by having many atoms that are configured in a certain fashion.|
|Properties||It shows their own features such as reactivity and valence.||The properties of a molecule are found on the base of atoms in molecules|
|Interactions||They interact with atoms or molecules with chemical bonding||Make interaction with other molecules through chemical reactions or physical forces.|
|Function||They play significant roles in the structure and function of the living organism||The structure and operation of living things as well as the natural environment depend on molecules, which also operate as the building blocks of cells, as regulators of biochemical activities, and as catalysts of metabolic processes.|
That is a detailed post about the Difference Between Atom and Molecules if you have any further query ask in the comments thanks for reading have a nice day.